12.30.2008

CHARLESTON

This time last week I had no idea I would be in Charleston, but here I am. Beats sitting at the office going numb in the feet. We've been playing lots of bridge, eating way too much food (especially dessert), and sleeping enough. It's great. The BF's mother needed comfortable shoes right away, so I had to do some shopping right when we got in this afternoon. I bought her some Cole Haan Nike Air flats at Saks. They weren't on sale, which is totally uncharacteristic of me, but they were the only ones in the entire store that fit her and that she liked. I just hope they last her a while - she tends to shuffle her feet and they don't look as though they can be resoled. They're tons better than what she was wearing, these cheap heels that were too big for her and cut into her feet wherever they weren't gapping.

We ate dinner at Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.'s!), and I had too much food as usual. They are dessert people and I am not, but I have no willpower when it comes to creme brulee. It was perfect, in this shallow dish instead of a deep cup so that there was a lot more carmelized sugar on top. After dinner we walked out on the pier and swung on a bench swing and then came back and played a hand of bridge. I made my two diamonds by the skin of my teeth when I should have been set - I was very lucky and now I'm in bed in a wonderful mood and thinking about tomorrow. I have to check my bank balance before going shopping, and we may go to Fort Sumter later in the day. It's our only full day here so I'm determined to pack it all in. I hope he brings me to Spoleto again this year.

No comments: